Is it really important to have a high-quality headshot when applying for a medical residency program? Yes, and it might be vital to being accepted.
I’ve been getting so many requests for these types of photos recently, I’ve developed a specific process to help students get a photo that works well for applications.
First, this is what goes into a great medical residency image:
- Formatting. A digital image file correctly formatted as required by Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). You are busy enough applying for your residency, worrying about the file specs is not something you need to add to your list. The correct format is 2.5″ x 3.5″ at 150 dpi, with a maximum file size of less than 100 KB.
- Every picture tells a story. It’s important for you to show confidence, intelligence, and affability in your photo. First impressions really do matter and snap judgements will be made from your photo. Will you fit into the environment? Do you look like you know what your doing? Do you seem approachable and friendly? Yes, all these things can be demonstrated with a good headshot.
- Lighting and Backdrop. According to Linkedin, on average, you are 14 times more likely to be picked for an interview if you have a professional headshot? Having a photo without professional lighting and backdrop can seriously hurt your chances of landing your dream residency program. A professional headshot at its simplest level shows you care enough to invest in a professional portrait.
Important: We recommend that your residency portrait be taken on a light gray or white background and even blue is an acceptable choice and will stand out on the ERAS thumbnail.
OK, so you know you need one, now How Fast, How Long and How Much?
- Appointments for our One Look Sessions can be booked as soon as within 12 hours, depending on my availability.
- The session itself lasts about 10 to 15 minutes and then we will spend another 15 minutes reviewing your images and making your final selections.
- The final images will be edited, formatted and provided to you for downloading within 24 hours.
- Our One Look Session fee is $75 and the cost for our 2 digital image package is $125.
So, the entire process takes about 30 minutes, costs just $200 and we are conveniently located off Hwy 80 near the El Cerrito/Richmond border.